Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Empathy

It was like someone had ripped part of my soul out and put rotten eggs as a replacement. I wouldn’t be surprised if I stank right now
This is what Hashik’s reaction is to his best friend Babur getting kidnapped. It makes you feel as if you yourself had had your heart ripped out. This is called empathy. Authors try to create it as much possible. Those who don’t are not very successful writers. Here are some key points to creating empathy. You need to give lots of details so that the reader can clearly imagine the thing you’re trying to describe. Create lots of emotions so that the reader can connect to the character.
In the book The Breadwinner, the author creates empathy by using adjectives to describe how Parvana is coping with her life. People can understand that she is annoyed by the way the Taliban are treating people and women in particular. I felt particular empathy for Parvana when she had to leave Shauzia and rescue her family. Because I have had the same experience myself, it was easier for me to feel empathy, but I also felt that everyone else felt empathy too, even though they hadn’t had the same experience.
Empathy is something that anyone can attain with practice and hard work. Overall I think that you can get empathy by giving lots of detail, and entering lots emotions.
That is what I have to say to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment